Thursday, August 19, 2010

Local Food = Good Times

I actually heard the words 'rain' and 'saturday' used together in a sentence regarding this upcoming Saturday at the market. Can this be? We have not seen rain at the market, nor in other areas, for quite some time now. Not much changes at the market in the event of rain... perhaps just a little more indoor time. Fresh cut flowers from Janis Smith's table can brighten any table.

I just returned from a presentation by municipal councillor Gord Hume at the St. Thomas Seniors Centre. His new book is called the Local Food Revolution. His presentation included pictures of the St. Thomas Horton Farmers' Market of which he visited a few weeks ago. And the importance of farmers' markets in the local food movement. One of the key things farmers markets provides is a distribution channel that is sustainable. Your produce leaves the farm, touches the table at the market and arrives in your home in one to two days. The alternative channels pass through far more handling stations, transportation time, and lack of sufficient growing time in the field. One of Gord's key points: we as citizens have a right to access nutritious, local, sustainable food and we can ensure that who we elect for council has a vested interest in the same. (Of course, I have so much more to say about this huge topic; will share more with each post.)

New vendors at the market this weekend..... Tammy from Gredig's Orchards is returning this season with Paula Reds and Ginger Gold apples. Caverly Smith will be bringing some of her original artwork in watercolour and acrylics, and you never know who else might show. Last week we had Simpson Farms bring some very big brocoli and Jacqui from Moonstone Aromatherapy had an extra table set up inside with a pampering hand exfoliation station.
Kim of Green Leaf Pasteries is away another week - I know, no scones! She will be back on the 28th and a few other vendors are close to finishing in the next few weeks - I will keep you posted.
One of my roles as market manager is to round up the trash when market day is done (I know there are a few guys who will say that I round them up to round up the trash - R & J :-) and I have often picked cans and coffee cups out of the trash and threw them in the blue bin beside the trash can. The coffee cups are acutally compostable but I am aiming for at least recycled please. There are blue bins at every door, at Farmgates station and in the North Pavilion. Better yet, purchase one of the Fire Roasted travel cups from the coffee guys at Part Time Peasant, get a discount on your coffee refills, and work with the first 'R' - Reduce. Please continue to bring your shopping bags, baskets, and containers to fill. Many Thanks.

This is crazy but I am already planning for back to school for the kids - how did that happen? Feels like we just got started! Let's slow down, stay for the two-count coffee (& perhaps the 2nd breakfast sandwich), chat, and savour every moment. Please stop to say Hi. I have stopped writing the column for the Weekly News for now; that was volunteer and consuming too much of my world at the moment. You will hear from me here and I will definetly be seeing you at the market.

P.S. - since my Aunt Patti, the volunteer photographer is in Nicaragua right now, I will be using some repeat photos and some from last year at this time. sorry for the repeats and three-peats as I am sure I pick my favs over and over again.

Cheers,

Tricia Herbert
Market Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment